November 27, 2004

The odd Thanksgiving

This year I decided not to go home for Thanksgiving. However, I love the traditional Thanksgiving meal. I decided to cook dinner and invited a few people over. On the Monday before Thanksgiving, the people bailed on me. So I sent out an e-mail blast inviting a bunch of people to come by. I realized that it was a last-minute invitation, but it still stung to be turned down by 15 people. What's also annoying is when certain people like to reiterate to me that it was a last-minute invitation. I already know that.

Things really aren't that bad. Most people make holiday plans long in advance. Also, I'm grateful that I know 15 people who might come to dinner at some point. In any case, I roasted a bird in honor of the occasion.

Well, I wound up having three Thanksgiving dinners.

Round one: 26 lb turkey roasted in a Reynolds plastic roasting bag, Heinz jarred gravy, Stove top suffing, and a large pumpkin pie from Costco. I shouldn't complain, after all I was an invitee. The typical American family probably has a similar dinner for Thanksgiving. But I will complain. I am not a fan of the plastic roasting bag. It seems to stew the bird rather than roasting it. The turkey turned out stringy and gawd knows what sort of chemicals are imparted to the bird from the plastic bag. The most horrific moment for me was when the hostess tossed all the drippings rather than saving them for other uses. Gee, it would have be perfect for gravy. I was spending Thanksgiving with a large and somewhat dysfunctional family. The highlight for me was when the hostess said to me, "I'm surprised you even got into law school." I suppose they only insult people who they consider family. What could be more traditonal, except it was Wednesday night.

Round two: On Thanksgivng Day, the dinner was a 12 lb organic stuffed turkey, rosemary rolls, herbed gravy, cranberry compote, and three types of wine (Cremant, Navarro Gewuztraminer, and Mt Eden Pinot Noir). What else would I expect from the Food Forum. It was probably the best turkey I've had for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, the chef was in bad from as he was just beginning a rather painful divorce. And there were no mashed potatoes.

Round three: I did a dinner on my own for the hell of it.

Here's my menu:

Roasted turkey (7 1/2 lbs. diestel)
Mashed Potatoes (Yukon Golds)
Gravy (of course)
Chocolate Pecan Pie
Dressing

I preped the turkey by salting the bird the day before hand. I don't believe in stuffing a turkey. Roasted the bird at 350, breast side down. Flipped the bird (no, seriously) after 2 hours. Saved drippings and made gravy from them along with a stock made from the neckbone. Mashed potatoes were made with butter, milk and a spoonful of creme fraiche. I was lazy with the dressing and used dried bread cubes. I mixed the bread with 2 cups of turkey stock and carrots, celery, onions and a pinch of herbes de Provence that had been sauteed in a stick of butter. Then the dressing was baked for 30 minutes at 350. The Chocolate Pecan Pie recipe came from Mollie Katzen. I used Ocumare varietal bittersweet chocolate and tossed in a handful of chocolate chips at the end.

It was an interesting Thanksgiving. All the drama belonged to other people. I was just there for the food.

No comments: